This blog is meant to be a source
of encouragement to all who read it.
Our prayer is that Aidan’s illness &
journey will be a blessing to many...


Facebook Group:

Friday, 4 September 2009

Chemotherapy - Session 1

We went in for admission on 11th May at 8.30am. The doctor did a lumbar puncture a little later. Then, the chemo commenced around 2pm. There would be three types of chemo drugs that will be administered.

  • One ran for 10 minutes twice a day, for 7 days.

  • Another ran for half an hour for three days and

  • One ran for 20 hours for two days.

I lay in bed with Aidan watching them drip him with that awfully toxic medication. I prayed that there would not be adverse effects on him. The 20 hour chemo was awful. We had to lie in bed for 20 hours. This was done on Monday and Wednesday.

Aidan responded to the chemo very well. He did not throw up all through the 7 days. His doctor was also surprised at how well he responded. I told the doctor that it was due to the fact that there were so many prayer warriors praying for Aidan. On Friday the doctor mentioned that the prayers must be working as Aidan was still his chirpy little self. We would put him in his cot when the drips were off and he would happily swing from one end to the other playing with all his toys.

Aidan’s favorite toy is Patrick the dog. His Aunty Becky got him one for his birthday. Throughout the chemo Aidan would chew on Patrick’s tail. Patrick has become his “Comfort Toy”. As such we needed to get a spare so that we could wash Patrick often enough for hygiene purposes. After much searching, we got one. Then Aunt Becky came to visit and she had got another. On Friday, our friend Ivy came to visit and she, not knowing that Aidan’s favorite toy was Patrick, got him one. Now Aidan is blessed with 4 Patricks’.

Aidan continued to eat well throughout the whole 7 days. See… We have so much to be thankful for!

God sent angels in the form of people to pray, people to take mummy out for lunch. Mummy needed to be kept sane, especially having to stay in a small, dreary looking room for 7 days. God has just taken care of all our needs in one way or another. This is certainly going to be a journey of

We could never thank all those who have joined us on this journey, some have been mentioned and some have not. Nevertheless, we will always be grateful for the love, support and prayers you have showered us with. May the God who is Our Lord and Saviour bless you abundantly!!

On 18th May, the following Monday, we were supposed to go home in the morning. Mummy was so excited, not Aidan. He… He…
Alas, the blood test results came back and Aidan’s haemoglobin count was low. That meant he needed a blood transfusion before we could be released to go home. The whole process took around 6 hours. We were discharged that evening. We were all so glad to be out of there... Aidan included.

Before we were released, the doctor said that we would need to come in to the Chemo Day Care unit for check ups every Monday and Thursday.

Aidan in the papers!.... http://www.mmail.com.my/content/love-alone-isn%E2%80%99t-enough-help-special-children

No comments:

Post a Comment